Saturday, September 5, 2015

More Ways to Get Online Death Records In California: FamilySearch.org wiki's Tip


I find it really pays to click on the "Learn more" link to any database on FamilySearch.  You get a background on the

  • Record Description, 
  • Record Content, 
  • How to Use the Record, 
  • Searching the Collection, 
  • Using the Information, 
  • Tips, 
  • Known Issues, 
  • and related websites and articles.

In this case, the following tip was helpful to me:
FHL Keyword California, Death Records

I decided to try the Keyword link and got the following:
The default includes all results in all of their libraries, both physical and online.

It's good to know all that is available.  Since I like to try to exhaust all online sources before resorting to ordering microfilm or traveling to a library, I narrowed my locations to "online":

I've selected "online"


I think that most, if not all of these online results are in the FamilySearch.org "California, County Birth and Death Records, 1800-1994" collection that I covered earlier this week, but displayed in a different way.  If you access any given subcollection it will just throw you into the images, while the results page from the Keyword search directs you first to a description of each subcollection, and then a link to images.  I like this because I always like to know what any given collection is and why it exists in the first place.




© 2015 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment