Saturday, October 10, 2015

Mrs Susan Herrod Dies


Susan's was second of three obituaries for local older women under the heading: "One By One the Roses Fall," The American Citizen (Canton, Mississippi), 29 Jul 1876, pg 3, col 3; digital image, Chronicling America (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83016739/1876-07-29/ed-1/seq-3/ : accessed 10 Oct 2015).
Finally, I found the death date for Susan (Grubb) Herrod, 26 July 1876!  I will have to evaluate this obituary to see what I can squeeze out of it.  I am bummed that no family information whatsoever is given, but hey, c'est la guerre.

Thanks to the Mississippi Department of Archives and History and the Library of Congress's Chronicling America Newspaper Project, I have found that I can now view newspapers from Canton during much of her life.  Although the earlier papers concerned themselves with national and international news, sheriff sales, chancery court notices, and business ads, by Susan's death the papers held much more relevant day-to-day information about the community.




© 2015 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment